Wednesday 2 November 2011

Engaging in Active Listening



In our daily life, we often engage in active listening, without knowing that we actually engaging in it. For example, in supermarket, when the salesperson approach you a product and it attracts you. you then start to ask question regarding the product. In this situation, you have already involve yourself in active listening. Active listening always occur when we seek advice and information from others.

Listen for Meaning

Few weeks ago, my friend, an insurance agent from American International Assurance Berhad (AIA) came to me and told me about his new insurance plan which is called the Multiple Life Plan or known as the 36 Critical Illnesses Plan. All these while, I wanted to have coverage on 36 critical illnesses since I do not have any, so I told him to fix a time with me whereby we both can sit down and he can further explain the advantages of having this critical illnesses plan.

So, when the time came, he explained his plan to me. He told me that how good the plan is. He also did a comparison of his plan with other insurance company. Well, for me, when it comes to buying a life plan, I used to ask long-winded question just to ensure that I understand the product well. I have been asking many WH question, such as what do I need to do if I have been diagnosed with critical illnesses, how is the payment mode, how can I claim and etc. 


When I have understood the product well, he then asked me my feelings towards the plan. Was the plan that they offering good and so on. Most of the feedback I gave were positive as I think the product was pretty well designed and plan. In this situation, I have eventually engaged myself in active listening as I listen attentively to what he said. When I have a need or desire for the product, I started asking him lots of question to make sure that I fully understand what the product is all about. I also gave responses and feedback of the product. 




When engaging ourselves in active listening, we must always get ourselves interested and getting ourselves involve with what others trying to tell us. through responding and giving feedback, it also helps us to get involve in active listening. we have to pay attention and give fully focus on the messages  that others are trying to convey to us. besides, active listening also involve "question and answer" session to make sure that we truly understand what others are tying to tell us. Basically, active listening involve the following:


Steffi         

No comments:

Post a Comment